Monday, September 21, 2009

Saosin - "In Search of Solid Ground"

I like that the second this CD starts, you know that it’s Saosin. I like that they have a recognizable sound – I don’t like it when you hear something and you’re like, wtf is this? Then you realize that it’s a band that you really like… except it doesn’t sound like them at all.

Anyway, one thing I have to say about Saosin is that I know a lot of people who think they’re great dudes. I don’t know, because the time I saw them I didn’t stick around to meet any of them. Whatevs. Armor For Sleep was their opener, my bad. But they do put on a pretty enjoyable show, I’m not gonna lie.

I also appreciate that they’re fronted by Cove Reber now instead of Anthony Green (of Circa Survive) because I definitely prefer Reber’s voice to Green’s.

One thing that I don’t like about this CD is that sometimes the lyrics don’t really make that much sense. That’s the only real nitpick that I have with this CD. Other than the really long ending at the end of the track “On My Own,” that is. I hate that, and it’s one thing that I really wish wasn’t on the CD.

Saosin does a really killer ballad-type song. What got me into them was hearing “You’re Not Alone” from their first CD when I’d listen to Sirius Radio (Alt Nation FTW!) at work on Saturdays. So naturally, I gravitate toward tracks like “The Alarming Sound of a Still Small Voice” and “Fireflies (Light Messengers)” on this album. Actually, “Fireflies (Light Messengers)” is my favorite track on the disc, hands down. I love this vibe from Saosin.

I wish I’d been able to do a track-by-track first listen of this, and to give a better feel, but I bought it pretty late at night (at Target, which was almost a tragedy because we couldn’t FIND the damn thing and I was getting frustrated), ripped it to my computer, then took it in my car to listen to on the way to/from work the next morning.

On the whole, I can see how a lot of people wouldn’t like it, because there’s not much of a progression from the first CD, other than there’s more solidity to the sound. They haven’t changed a lot, and I’m pretty sure that I’m fine with that. I’m getting what I go to Saosin for.

It’s a good thing.

No comments: